The joint Master programme in Marine Biotechnology is a transnationally integrated multidisciplinary programme that provides high-quality academic education and professional competencies for professionals working or intending to work in the area of marine biotechnology.
Blue Biotechnology, or Marine Biotechnology, is a scientific-business activity that seeks the application of biotechnological advanced methodologies to marine and aquatic environments. The European Blue Growth Strategy considers Blue Biotechnology as one of the five sectors with the greatest potential for growth and sustainable generation of highly qualified jobs.
The JMPMB is designed to ensure that students (1) get essential interdisciplinary training in key topics related to Marine Biotechnology, (2) have the opportunity to thematically specialise, (3) can tailor their study programme to their aspirations via individual professional practice (internship), individual research (academic research integration) and thesis work. The JMPMB includes a wide range of mobility opportunities but also ensures integration in a study group and a professional network in the best possible circumstances. By using multiple innovative pedagogical teaching methods, it offers a learning environment open to a multicultural group of students.
The joint Master programme is delivered by six partner universities (La Rochelle University, Universidad Católica de Valencia, Agricultural University of Athens, Universitatea Tehnica de Constructii Bucuresti, Klaipėdos Universitetas and Sveuciliste U Zadru) in association with two Associated Partners (Waterford Institute of Technology and Rostock University) in collaboration with a large number of stakeholders from companies and research centres.
Being a joint programme, its main activities are executed jointly by the universities of the Consortium: a joint curriculum, a joint admission procedure, a joint quality assessment system and a joint diploma.
The joint Master programme follows the student-centred learning approach methodology whereby the degree profile is related to the appropriate learning outcomes required in order to achieve this profile. An immersive system of project-based learning in the ‘real world’ economy will allow the graduates to share their way of solving complex problems, developing an interdisciplinary and cross-sectoral problem-solving capacity.
The mission of the JMPMB is to equip the graduates with deep expertise and knowledge based on an interdisciplinary and holistic perspective, which will be the umbilical cord between modern biotechnology and the marine environment. The programme will unite the graduate students under the same academic vision of the European University for Smart Urban Coastal Sustainability.
The main learning objectives of the JMPMB are
- to acquire knowledge and practical experience about the relevant biochemical, molecular, bioinformatics and systems biology approaches for the use of aquatic resources,
- to understand the process of discovery and development of molecules derived and inspired by marine organisms as new products to meet the needs of consumers in various markets,
- to learn about the management of biotechnological innovation projects, the transfer of R&D and the protection of industrial and intellectual property.
The students, as the most important stakeholders, will benefit from access to international experts and state-of-the-art curricula. The EU-CONEXUS Associated Partners and network include major commercial companies, research and education institutions, national and regional authorities, national and regional business development agencies and international organisations. Thus, global marine biotechnology challenges can be addressed for the benefit of the student. The JMPMB thematic areas provide four tracks (specialisations): (1) Innovative Bioproducts for Future; (2) Blue Biomass; (3) Marine Biorefinery; (4) Aquaculture Biotechnology.
The 120 ECTS joint Master programme consists of
- Core courses (54 ECTS) are taught throughout the 1st academic year in the areas of Marine Omics, Marine Biodiversity Prospecting, Blue Biotechnology Business and R&D Management and Bio-Chemistry of Marine Natural Products,
- Internship (6 ECTS; 8 weeks) is carried out at the end of the 2nd semester of the 1st academic year. The professional practice prepares students in a very practical way for future employment,
- Optional courses (taught virtually) of the chosen track (specialisation) (16 ECTS),
- Each track is completed with a course called Academic Research Integration (14 ECTS),
- Master thesis (30 ECTS).
The JMPMB Course Catalogue: curriculum, mobility scheme, courses description.
JMPMB ECTS Course Catalogue
Europe is positioning itself as the largest biotechnology hub and the demand for talented individuals is increasing much higher than we have seen before. The biotechnological labour market, as an emerging sector, is demanding a creative workforce with a commercial and entrepreneurial mind-set for developing new products in the health, cosmetics and agri-food sectors. In 2016, the Blue Economy provided 3.48 million jobs in the EU and the average wage increased by 14.2%. The EU-CONEXUS countries represent more than 50% of the EU’s Blue Jobs.
The JMPMB will prepare employable students for the current demands of the biotechnological sector. Graduates will work at different levels (project managers, researchers, lab managers, etc.) and in several types of organisations (from start-ups to big pharmaceutical companies) in various economic sectors such as cosmetics, food, agriculture, aquaculture, sustainable tourism or higher education.
Facilitation to personal career development:
The high inclusion of the stakeholders into the teaching and learning process of the courses and the national language courses offered by the host institutions of the student choice facilitates better integration in the labour market.
Adequate preparation of the graduates to strengthen their profile will be facilitated through EU-CONEXUS Smart Campus platforms and services throughout the studies:
- EU-CONEXUS Jobs and internships search platform will be used to facilitate for JMPMB students the search for internships and to receive counselling on CV writing, job and internship search and other topics of interest.
- EU-CONEXUS University-Industry platform will be used to for project development and Academic Research Integration course.
- EU-CONEXUS Mentoring platform will ensure students counselling in the following areas of interest: academic, research, career, entrepreneurship guidance.
- Individualised practical experience in carrying out internship and Academic Research Integration course as well as working on the Master thesis project facilitate to hands-experience of each student.
- Webinars, info sessions, career days, personal coaching, etc., organised by the Consortium or individual universities are available for all students of the programme.