The joint Master programme in Marine Biotechnologyis a transnationally integrated multidisciplinary programme offered within the framework of one of the first European universities.
This Master provides high-quality academic education and professional competences in the area of marine biotechnology (also called blue biotechnology) to address its challenges from a global point of view.
It will ensure that students:
(1) get essential interdisciplinary training in key topics related to Marine Biotechnology;
(2) have the opportunity to thematically specialise within one of the four tracks (specialisations):(1) Innovative Bioproducts for Future; (2) Blue Biomass; (3) Marine Biorefinery; (4) Aquaculture Biotechnology;
(3) can tailor their study programme to their aspirations via individual professional practice (internship), individual research (academic research integration) and thesis work.
The Master in Marine Biotechnology includes multiple options of mobility within the alliance and a student-centred learning approach methodology.
It provides integration in a multicultural study group and a professional network, offering an immersive system of project-based learning in the ‘real world’ economy.
For any question regarding the application, please contact the admission office
The Joint Master programme in Marine Biotechnology is a 2-years full time study programme, taught in English and awarding a joint diploma, Master of Science in Marine Biotechnology (or equivalent), organised as followed :
|1st semester||Core courses in marine biotechnology ( 30 ECTS)||UCV, Spain|
|2nd semester||Core courses in marine biotechnology (24 ECTS)||LRUniv, France|
|Internship in any company (6 ECTS)||Any country|
|3rd semester||Specialisation courses of the chosen track (16 ECTS) • 4 tracks/specialisation the second year : (1) Innovative Bioproducts for Future; (2) Blue Biomass; (3) Marine Biorefinery; (4) Aquaculture Biotechnology.||All partner universities according to the chosen track by the student in order to carry out his/her ARI; the elective courses will be taught online|
|“Academic Research Integration (ARI)” course where groups of students from different tracks will work together on transversal research projects (14 ECTS).||All partner universities according to the chosen track by the student in order to carry out his/her ARI; the elective courses will be taught online|
|4th semester||Master Thesis (30 ECTS).||Any partner and associated university|
To know more about the detailed programme structure, please read the course catalogue.
The minimum eligibility requirements to enrol for the joint Master programme in Marine Biotechnology are:
- University Bachelor’s degree (min 180 ECTS) or equivalent, from any country, providing the access to Master cycle studies, in the fields of Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Statistics (ISCED 05) and/or Engineering, Manufacturing and Construction (ISCED 07) and/or Agriculture, Forestry, Fisheries and Veterinary (ISCED 08) and/or in other fields similar to the JMPMB:
- English language proficiency: at least CEFR B2, certified by IELTS Academic with min. 6.5 overall band score (and at least 6 points in all of the four test components ) or an equivalent certificate; the certificate is not required if English is your native language or it was the language of your previous Bachelor or Master studies.
More information on the Admission procedure.
Before applying, you can read the Admission procedure.
- Diploma of Bachelor degree, or equivalent (see the Requirements tab);
- Diploma Supplement or Transcript of records, showing full details of all the courses studied and grades/marks obtained;
- Certificate of English language proficiency (see the Requirements tab).
- Statement of purpose, with justification about the preference for the track (specialisation) to be chosen in JMPMB.
- CV with the emphasis on professional/research experience in the related subject and extracurricular activities (Europass CV format is highly recommended).
- 2 academic recommendation letters (the letters must contain a date, be on a letter headed paper, and include the referees´ signature or an official stamp).
- Copy of the photo page of passport (non-EU candidates) or ID (EU citizens only).
*All documents, if not in English, have to be translated and notary verified
|Citizenship||Fees per year|
|EU and EEA citizens or permanent resident||4,500-5,500 €|
For more details on the selection process, please refer to the Admission procedure.
Career opportunities: [LD1]
In 2016, the Blue Economy provided 3.48 million jobs in the EU and the average wage increased by 14.2%.
The EU-CONEXUS countries represent more than 50% of the EU`s Blue Jobs.
- the health, cosmetics and agri-food sectors to reach new markets and segments.
- the manufacturing of new functional products from marine resources.
- the various uses of Biotechnology to the aquaculture sector such as : managing advanced breeding programmes, estimating significant diseases of aquatic organisms, modifying the metabolism of molecules in living organisms and support modern research for practical aquaculture development and seafood processing.
EU-CONEXUS has built this programme in collaboration with stakeholders to match the actual needs of the biotechnological sector (list available here). Moreover, companies and research centers are involved in the teaching of the programme.
It will prepare employable students to get the following skills and knowledge:
- Understand the process of discovery and development of marine derived molecules and set up an efficient biotechnological pipeline to develop innovative marine natural products using state of the art techniques.
- Integrate problem-solving skills, specialised knowledge, and understanding from current challenges to innovative solutions regarding the sector.
- Acquire skills related to management of biotechnological innovation projects, transfer of R&D and protection of industrial and intellectual property in the marine biotechnology sector.
- Communicate efficiently scientific results to colleagues, customers and collaborators by means of highly organised, coherent, and cohesive both written and oral discourses to contribute to the betterment of the field.
- Work as part of multidisciplinary and international teams, following and maintaining high quality of work and high productivity.
Moreover, EU-CONEXUS will facilitate the personal career development with:
– Academic research integration course: The student will work on proposed multidisciplinary research projects within a group of students from different specialisations and in different locations. This practical, professional and soft skills you will gain will assist you in carrying on other projects in companies or doing your Master thesis and PhD research.
– high inclusion of stakeholders into the teaching and learning process of the courses (list available here-)
– An integrative EU-CONEXUS Smart Campus environment with several platforms and services available throughout the studies (job and intership search platform, career center, mentoring platform as well as webinars, info sessions, career days, personal coaching, etc., organised by the alliance or its members).