The idea of European University
On 26th of July 2019 the European Commission announced a first selection of 17 higher education institutions from all over Europe set out to create integrated transnational European Universities.
‘EU-CONEXUS’ – „European University for Smart Urban Coastal Sustainability’ is formed by 6 European universities – La Rochelle Université, Agricultural University of Athens, La Universidad Católica de Valencia “San Vicente Mártir”, University of Zadar, Klaipeda University and Technical University of Civil Engineering Bucharest. All these universities share the geographical characteristic of being located at coastal areas or working on coastal issues and paying particular attention to the sustainability of the coastal area, digitalisation and blue growth.
What EU-CONEXUS means
The main goal of the EU-CONEXUS consortium is to implement a brand new idea of European University. It means:
- New inter-disciplinary and international study programs between the members of the consortium;
- Strenghtening international scientific research;
- Creation of common digital libraries;
- Creation of smart university campus;
- Strengthtening of universities’ competitiveness at national and international level;
- New models of mobility;
- Specialists, able to learn and research the sustainability of urbanised coastal areas, blue growth;
- New international academic activities using professional and innovative methods for the solution of global problems;
- Close cooperation between universities, business enterprises, companies, and municipal authority institutions for joining forces to solve arising regional problems.
What means to be the part of the European University
Belonging to the European University means new opportunities both for students and academic staff: new inter-disciplinary and international study programs, new models of mobility, common virtual libraries, the idea of smart university campus are going to be created, scientific research is to be strengthened.
Having created the alliances of European universities, the quality of European higher education will be improved and its attractiveness increased, the internationalization widened and European citizenship strengthened – the mobility of students and lecturers will increase.
It is expected that the first seventeen European universities will become an example to follow for other higher education institutions, will increase the continental universities’ competitiveness and quality of higher education at international level.